Besides spending time with family and friends, I love personal finances, fitness, & travel. In the 5 short years I’ve been married, we’ve traveled to 14 countries together and saved a nice chunk of change. We didn’t inherit anything, and we don’t have high-income careers. In fact, during our first 2 years of marriage, I took a 50% pay-cut in order to relocate to where my husband lived, earning just above minimum wage.
I love learning, reading, and sharing information about finances (especially savings) and savvy traveling!
1) Travel – I love exploring new places and experiencing new cultures. Read more about my adventures on www.SemperTravel.com!
2) Exercise – I’ve had a gym membership since age 11, and I’ve worked out practically everyday since. Exercise makes you feel good about yourself and endorphins make you happy! (I’m known to smile, a lot.)
3) Personal Finances – I’ve been saving since 1st grade when I opened my first bank account at a new bank down the street from my childhood house. I started selling my goods (friendship bracelets and drawings) and services (back scratching) shortly after, making just 10 cents per minute! 🙂 I first invested in the stock market in 5th grade, while my school was doing a hypothetical scenario project. As soon as I could (at age 10), I began working as a mother’s helper, and then started babysitting regularly at age 11. Proper financial management gives you freedom. I learned this by 8th grade, when I wanted a cell phone (old fashion, black and white, Nokia 8260), but I had to save enough to pay for the phone and an entire year of service before I could buy it. The same lessons apply today. Save before you buy so that you earn the interest on your money instead of paying a premium for a product that is not worth the price if you have to include financing it.
A little more about me:
- I love my husband, family, friends, and my puppy!
- I’m a proud military spouse. Due to my husband’s career, my career is completely different than I envisioned, but I’m thankful for that. I’ve been able to experience so many new things, try different jobs, meet people from all over the world, travel the world, and I have a much greater appreciation for life. In our 1st 5 years of marriage, I had 5 different jobs (a few simultaneously), but each of those helped me figure out what I really enjoy doing!
- I love planning and organizing.
- I think education is important as it opens your mind to new processes and ideas.
- I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration, double majoring in Marketing and Human Resources.
- I am an Accredited Financial Counselor (AFC®).
- I am an ACE® certified Group Fitness Instructor.
- I was a certified Personal Trainer (I accidentally let it lapse, and I don’t want to study for the exam right now, but in the future I might bring it up to date.)
- I’m studying to complete my ChFC® (Chartered Financial Consultant) designation.
- I’m only a few classes away from completing my MBA!
- As you can tell, I love to keep setting new goals. I’m always working on something (finances, research, school, work, exercise, planning a vacation, etc.)!
What do I love about financial planning? It gives you the freedom to do what you want! I mentioned trip planning because we love to travel, of course, within our budget. I’ll talk more about that on other posts, but by being financially responsible, setting goals, and understanding what makes us happy, we’re able to live a wonderful life on a very modest budget and feel confident that we’re on the road to a successful financial future.